Skip to Content

School Liaison Officer


For more information on local public, private or homeschools, please email your Naval Air Station Lemoore School Liaison

The School Liaison's primary function is to serve as a conduit between parents, educators and the command, so military-connected children experience a seamless transition during the transfer between schools. 

The School Liaison can offer information on area schools and help facilitate communication between the military family on matters relating to regional public and private schools as well as home school and alternative modes of education.

The School Liaison provides information and resources for military families on internal organizations as well as some local organizations.

The School Liaison can:

  • Answer questions about school enrollment options
  • Provide information about local schools and boundaries
  • Assist with inbound/outbound school transfers
  • Help you understand and navigate the special education process
  • Provide resources for college readiness
  • Assist with agency referrals ...And much more!


Core Services:

School Transition Services (PCS Cycle): School Liaisons assist families with school transfers and help “level the playing field” for military children and youth.

Deployment Support: School Liaisons connect educators with the Navy deployment support system to inform them about the cycles of deployment and the tools available to assist educators in working with Navy children.

Command, School, Community Communications: School Liaisons serve as subject-matter experts for installation commanders on K-12 issues, helping to connect command, school and community resources.

Home School Linkage and Support: School Liaisons assist Navy families by gathering and sharing information on home schooling issues, policies and legislation from local school districts. 

Partnerships in Education (PIE): PIE creates a volunteer network of resources to support installation and community members who have a vested interest in the success of all youth.

Post-Secondary Preparations: School Liaisons leverage installation and school resources to provide graduating military students with access to post-secondary information and opportunities.

Special Needs System Navigation: School Liaisons provide information about installation and community programs and services, make referrals to the Exceptional Family Member Program, and offer assistance in navigating the administrative systems within local education agencies.




How do I choose a school?
We know the importance of choosing a school that best meets the needs of your military child(ren). Even though we are unable to make direct recommendations for schools, we are available to help you acquire information and research the schools within NRSW. We can provide overall information on districts as well as help you determine what schools you might be mapped to once you have a residence. Academic, demographic, and fiscal information on California schools can be found using the following resources:

California Dashboard
School Accountability Report Card

What are enrollment options?
Public school enrollment is based on home of residence; however, there are some exceptions. Depending on the district, there are options to enroll based on place of employment or to apply for an inter-district transfer. Charter schools in the area have their own policies depending on their charter. Several private schools and online schools are also available. 

What are the health and immunization requirements?
Review the Immunization and health check up fact sheet for the California Department of Education. Once you determine where you will live and what school your child will attend, you should also check with your school to be sure there are no additional districtrequirements.

What are the School Registration procedures?
Each school district has its own registration policies and procedures. Before you establish residency, please check with the district/school where you intend to enroll your child(ren) to verify school boundaries/charter enrolments, or transfers processes. School district boundaries are available on district websites. The documents you should hand-carry for your new school are listed in the School-Transfer-Checklist

What do I do if am on the housing wait-list or am in temporary housing?
School districts within school boundaries of military housing are familiar with this situation. Depending on the district, parents may be asked to provide proof they are residing in temporary accommodation, a letter from housing stating the family is on the housing wait-list, or military orders. If you have questions or issues, please contact the NAS Lemoore School Liaison.

How do I provide proof of residency if my family is staying in temporary accommodation?
Schools surrounding the installation are familiar with the PCS process. Schools will make accommodations on proof of residency until families have a permanent home. Elementary schools on base will also accept proof of employment at NAS Lemoore in lieu of residency. If you have questions or any issues with residency, please contact the School Liaison.

What is the Interstate Compact and what can it do for my family?
The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children provides for the uniform treatment of military children transferring between public school districts and states. The goal of the Compact is to replace the widely varying policies affecting transitioning military students. The Compact addresses key educational transition issues encountered by military families including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. Visit the Interstate Compact Commission for more information.

What options are there for before and after school care?
For students attending Akers and R.J Neutra schools on the installation, before and after school care is offered at the Youth Program School Age Care, or through the Family Child Care Program. Information and registration is available at Other schools may offer on-site before and/or after school care. Please contact the school or school district office for more information on their programs.

What do I do if I’m moving with a child with special needs?
In the Navy, your School Liaison can help you with the special needs navigation at the school or district where you are planning to send your child(ren). You should also contact the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) to ensure you are enrolled and to inquire about the local information and resources they offer.

Can School Liaison advocate in an IEP for my child?
The Navy School Liaisons are not able to advocate on your behalf. In our program, we offer information, resources and help you find the right people to talk to at the school or district. For families seeking assistance with IEPs or 504s, please contact the EFMP Liaison at Fleet and Family Support 559-998-4042.


California Department of Education

TUTORING Tutoring and homework help provided at no cost to active duty service members and their eligible dependents
The Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC) offers free webinars designed to help military parents as they guide their children through their educational journey. 

CalVet  College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents: The College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents benefit waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus

Post 9/11 GI Bill

SAT test registration

ACT test registration The U.S. Department of Education's office of Federal Student Aid (FSA) provides more than $120 billion in financial aid to help pay for college or career school each year. 

School Liaison Worldwide Directory

Military Installations online directory of military installations worldwide. 

MyPSCMobile gives Sailors a way to access PCS-related information and resources using their personal mobile devices - no Common Access Card (CAC) required! Requires set up of a CAC free account on a CAC enabled machine.

Non-DoD Schools Program (NDSP) is a program within the Department of Defense Education Activity. The purpose of NDSP is to provide educational support and financial assistance to defray costs of education and to facilitate educational continuity in international locations where there is no DoDEA school.

Interstate Compact for Military Children has been signed by the state of California and addresses the key issues of eligibility, enrollment, placement, and graduation encountered by military families. The Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission provides resources and trainings on the Compact for School personnel and parents. 

Military One Source for information about your gaining installation and surrounding communities.

Anchored4Life provides transition and resiliency resources and skills to counselors, teachers, parents, and youth.

Department of Defense Education Authority (DoDEA) DoDEA operates 163 schools in 8 Districts located in 11 countries, 7 states, and 2 territories. 


Tricare ECHO

NAS Lemoore EFMP: The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) includes identification of the family member's special needs and enrollment in the program, assignment coordination and family support

UCP of Central California (UCPCC) The Family Resource Center at UCP provides a place of learning, comfort and courage for families of children with disabilities.

The UCPCC Empowerment Center provides advocates trained in special education laws provide support and advocacy to parents as they build new relationships with their local school district and other agencies.

Exceptional Parents Unlimited: EPU's mission is to strengthen and empower children and families facing extraordinary medical, developmental, and parenting challenges.

Central Valley Regional Center: Provides assessment, evaluation, case management, programs, and activities for people with developmental disabilities.

Special Ed Connection: An online source for guidance on all your special education challenges. Contact the School Liaison for FREE access.

Department of Defense Education Authority (DoDEA) E2P2: The Expanded Eligibility Pilot Program (E2P2) gives military-connected high school students without access to a DoDEA brick-and-mortar high school the ability to take up to two online courses through the DoDEA Virtual High School. These courses supplement classes offered at local schools and must be used toward graduation requirements.

DoDEA Schools: DoDEA operates 160 schools in 8 Districts located in 11 foreign countries, 7 states, and 2 territories.


Kings County Public Schools

Links to the 13 school districts in Kings County can be found on the Kings County Office of Education website and the NAS Lemoore School Liaison Officer has additional resources to assist families who are relocating to NAS Lemoore and the surrounding area.

High school children living in housing at Naval Air Station Lemoore, and in Lemoore, are zoned to attend Lemoore High School. Hanford residents attend one of the schools in the Hanford Joint Union High School DistrictHanford HighHanford West, or Sierra Pacific high schools.

Kings County Charter Schools

University Charter 6-8, Lemoore Middle College High 9-12, Island Elementary K-8 and Pioneer Elementary District Schools K-8 are all public charter schools within driving distance of NAS Lemoore. Some public charters in the area give priority placement to students who live within their boundaries; others give priority to students residing in their districts. Applications for charter schools are available at school/district sites. The enrollment period for these schools can be as early as a year in advance. If charter schools have more students requesting to enroll, than space available, most form waiting lists.

Online Public Schools

Lemoore Union High School District and Hanford Joint Union High School District offer online high school:  Lemoore Online  Hanford Online Charter. Other online public school options are available to Kings, Tulare, and Fresno County residents.

Private Schools

Private schools in Lemoore

Mary Immaculate Queen School (PK-8)

Kings Christian School (PK-12).

Kings, and surrounding counties, have additional private school options. 

The California Department of Education maintains a searchable listing of all private schools in the state.


California does not have specific homeschooling laws; however, the following options allow families to school their children in the home.

Establish a home-based private school by filing the Private School Affidavit with the California Department of Education

Enroll children in a private school that offers independent study

Enroll in a public school independent study program or public charter school that offers a homeschool program

A parent with a valid California teaching credential, for the grades being taught, can use the tutorial option

Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) is the nation’s largest, homeschool advocacy organization. 

The NAS Lemoore Child and Youth Program offers weekly PE to military homeschooled children. Please call 559-998-4344 for more information.

Tulare County School Districts

Fresno County School Districts


Relocating to the Southwest?

Moves can be stressful. We’ve gathered some important information for you to ease the transition.


Facility Directory

Use the directory to locate a facility’s building or phone number and the hours of operation.



Tell us how we’re doing. Rate your experience at our facilities.


About Us

Learn more about Fleet & Family Readiness Programs and services.


Contact Us

Have a question, comment or feedback on our website? Let us know.



Partner with Navy MWR to enhance events for our military community while gaining valuable promotional benefits for your business.


Job Opportunities

Join our team! Check out our current Fleet & Family Readiness job openings.



Stay in touch with updates on MWR holiday hours, facility closures and base-wide updates.


Email Sign-Up

MWR sends periodic communication providing you with events, activities, MWR highlights and more.

Back to top