School Liaison Officer

The School Liaison Officer’s primary function is to serve as a conduit between parents, educators and the command, so military-connected children experience a seamless transition during the transfer between schools. 

The School Liaison Officers can offer information on area schools and help facilitate communication between the military family on matters relating to regional public and private schools as well as home school and alternative modes of education.

The School Liaison Officer provides information and resources for military families on internal organizations as well as some local organizations.

The School Liaison Officers can:

  • Answer questions about school enrollment options
  • Provide information about local schools and boundaries
  • Assist with inbound/outbound school transfers
  • Help you understand and navigate the special education process
  • Provide resources for college readiness
  • Assist with agency referrals ...And much more!

Core Services

  • School Transition Services (PCS Cycle): School Liaison Officers assist families with school transfers and help “level the playing field” for military children and youth.
  • Deployment Support: School Liaison Officers connect educators with the Navy deployment support system to inform them about the cycles of deployment and the tools available to assist educators in working with Navy children.
  • Command, School, Community Communications: School Liaison Officers serve as subject-matter experts for installation commanders on K-12 issues, helping to connect command, school and community resources.
  • Home School Linkage and Support: School Liaison Officers assist Navy families by gathering and sharing information on home schooling issues, policies and legislation from local school districts. 
  • Partnerships in Education (PIE): PIE creates a volunteer network of resources to support installation and community members who have a vested interest in the success of all youth.
  • Post-Secondary Preparations: School Liaison Officers leverage installation and school resources to provide graduating military students with access to post-secondary information and opportunities.
  • Special Needs System Navigation: School Liaison Officers provide information about installation and community programs and services, make referrals to the Exceptional Family Member Program, and offer assistance in navigating the administrative systems within local education agencies.



How do I choose a school?
We know the importance of choosing a school that best meets the needs of your military child(ren). Even though we are unable to make direct recommendations for schools, we are available to help you acquire information and research the schools within NRSW. We can provide overall information on districts as well as help you determine what schools you might be mapped to once you have a residence. Academic, demographic, and fiscal information on California schools can be found using the following resources:

California Dashboard
School Accountability Report Card

What are enrollment options?
Public school enrollment is based on home of residence; however, there are some exceptions. Depending on the district, there are options to enroll based on place of employment or to apply for an inter-district transfer. Charter schools in the area have their own policies depending on their charter. Several private schools and online schools are also available. 

What are the health and immunization requirements?
Immunization and health check up fact sheet for the California Dept of Education can be found at: Once you determine where you will live and what school your child will attend, you should also check with your school to be sure there are no additional district requirements.

What are the School Registration procedures?
This depends on what school district you are looking to enroll your child in. School Districts each have their own registration policies and procedures. Before you establish residency, please check with the school district/school where you intend to enroll to verify school boundaries/charter enrolments or transfers processes should you be considering an out of residency school. The documents you should hand-carry for your new school are listed in the Checklist for School Moves.

What do I do if am on the housing wait-list or am in temporary housing?
The school district serving housing residents at NAS Lemoore will accept a letter indicating you are on the waitlist for housing or a receipt from temporary accommodation. Elementary schools on base will also accept proof of employment at NAS Lemoore. If you have questions or issues, please contact your School Liaison Officer.

What is the Interstate Compact and what can it do for my family?
The Interstate Compact seeks to make transition easier for the children of military families so that they are afforded the same opportunities for educational success as other children and are not penalized or delayed in achieving their educational goals. More information can be found at:

What options are there for before and after school care?
For students attending Akers and Neutra schools, before and after school care is offered at the Youth Center or in Child Development Homes (CDH). Information and registration is available at Schools off base vary depending on the school. Some offer on-site before and after school care, others do not. Some before and after school programs have lengthy waiting lists while others do not. Please contact the school or school district office for more information on their programs.

What do I do if I’m moving with a child with special needs?
In the Navy, your School Liaison Officer can help you with the special needs navigation of the school or district where you are planning to send your child(ren). You should also contact the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) to ensure you are enrolled and to inquire on the local information and resources they offer.

Can School Liaison Officers advocate in an IEP for my child?
The Navy School Liaisons are not able to advocate on your behalf. In our program, we offer information, resources and help you find the right people to talk to at the school or district. If you ever have issues with your IEP or school, please call your School Liaison Officer for community resources on Special Education guidance and direct assistance.


California Department of Education

TUTORING Tutoring and homework help provided at no cost to active duty service members and their eligible dependents

CalVet  College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents: The College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents benefit waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus

Post 9/11 GI Bill

SAT test registration

ACT test registration

SAT/ACT Practice: eKnowledge provides military families with FREE $350 Semester-length, Interactive, Multimedia, Online Courses

A list of scholarship opportunities is available to download from the box at the right. 

Tricare ECHO: Special Ed Connection

NAS Lemoore EFMP: The Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) includes identification of the family member's special needs and enrollment in the program, assignment coordination and family support

Exceptional Parents Unlimited: EPU's mission is to strengthen and empower children and families facing extraordinary medical, developmental, and parenting challenges.

Central Valley Regional Center: Provides assessment, evaluation, case management, programs, and activities for people with developmental disabilities

Kings County Public Schools

Links to the 13 school districts in Kings County can be found on the Kings County Office of Education website and the NAS Lemoore School Liaison Officer has additional resources to assist families who are relocating to NAS Lemoore and the surrounding area.

There are no DoD schools at Naval Air Station Lemoore; however, there are two public schools belonging to the Central Union School District located within housing at NAS Lemoore: R.J. Neutra, a TK-5 school, and Akers, a K-8 school.

There are many other elementary and middle schools throughout Kings County offering a wide range of programs including: student council, band, and sports programs in certain grades.

High school age children living in housing at Naval Air Station Lemoore are bused into Lemoore (7 miles east) and attend Lemoore High School. Students living in Lemoore also attend Lemoore High School or Lemoore Middle College High School and Hanford residents attend one of the schools in the Hanford Joint Union High School District: Hanford High, Hanford West or Sierra Pacific.

Charter Schools

University Charter 5-8, Lemoore Middle College High 9-12, Island Elementary K-8 and Pioneer Elementary District Schools K-8 are all public charter schools within driving distance of NAS Lemoore. Some public charters in the area give priority placement to students who live within their boundaries; others give priority to students residing in their districts. Applications for charter schools are available at school/district sites. The enrollment period for these schools can be as early as a year in advance. If charter schools have more students requesting to enroll than space, most form waiting lists.

Online Public Schools

Lemoore Online is a charter school located on the West Hills College Campus providing online, college prep curriculum to students in grades 9-12. Lemoore Online belongs to the Lemoore Union High School District. There are many other online public schools available to Kings County residents.

Private Schools

There are two private schools in Lemoore, Mary Immaculate Queen School PK-8 and Kings Christian School PK-12 as well as several more in Hanford and Visalia. Contact the NAS Lemoore School Liaison Officer at 559-998-2242 for information on area private schools.


California does not have specific homeschooling laws; however, the following options allow families to school their children in the home.


  1. Establish a home-based private school by filing the Private School Affidavit with the California Department of Education
  2. Enroll children in a private school that offers independent study
  3. Enroll in a public school independent study program or public charter school that offers a homeschool program
  4. A parent with a valid California teaching credential, for the grades being taught, can use the tutorial option


For more information, please contact the NAS Lemoore School Liaison Officer


California requires all children to be vaccinated if they are to attend public schools. Information on California Schools Immunization requirements can be found at Shots for School website.

Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten Age of Entry

Each fall, children entering Kindergarten must turn 5 on or before September 1.

Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is offered to children who turn 5 between September 2 and December 2. TK students enter kindergarten the following school year.

Calendar Year

Public schools normally start between the second and third week in August, and run through the first week in June, with the standard holidays being observed. Most of the school districts have a three week winter break and a one week break in spring.


Tulare County School Districts

Fresno County School Districts


Upon enrollment into the School Age Care or Teen Center, your child is eligible for a Child and Youth Programs, Youth Sponsor. Youth Sponsorship (grades 3-12) provides access to positive peer groups and social activities, helping military children feel connected at their new duty station. If interested in connecting your child with a local youth sponsor, complete the fields below. Once received, you will be contacted by a School Liaison Officer/Youth Center Manager.


Click here to get started!



Relocating to the Southwest?

Moves can be stressful. We’ve gathered some important information for you to ease the transition.


Facility Directory

Use the directory to quickly locate a facility’s building or phone number and their hours of operation.



Break the ICE! Tell us how we’re doing. Rate your experience at our facilities.


About Us

Learn more about Fleet & Family Readiness Programs and services.


Contact Us

Have a question, comment or feedback on our website, let us know.



Partner with Navy MWR to enhance events for our military community while gaining valuable promotional benefits for your business.



MWR movie theaters are open to all active duty, reservists, retirees, dependents, DoD civilians, their sponsored guests, and individual contractors. Come one, come all... just come hungry! That's how we keep our movies FREE!



Discount tickets to most Southern California attractions are available at special prices just for the military. Roller coasters, water slides and live entertainment venues are just a few of the ticket offerings.


Job Opportunities

Join our team! Check out our current Fleet & Family Readiness job openings.